Wednesday, July 12, 2006

You CAN be too distracted...

Okay, it's been awhile, but I have finally managed to really mess up a pair of really simple socks. I think this is because I knitted these in a combination of places, and never more than a few rows at a time....at the pool, at swim meets, while watching much too engrossing movies, I'm not sure....And I was clearly not careful enough....for although the first sock made me think nothing could go wrong, when I finished the second sock, I discovered that it was, well, a completely different size....both in the length of the cuff and the length of the foot (what was I thinking, well, I was clearly not thinking!). I also discovered that this yarn, (Elann Esprit), at least in this 4/2 seed rib I decided to use, is not as forgiving or adaptable as the Cascade Fixation (cotton/elastic blend, pretty much a sport weight), I like so much! And as the Yarn Harlot warned, this is not going to come out in the blocking! . Phew. I wasn't going to post these at all, but "in the interest of full disclosure" (as we say), here they are. Luckily, my daughter doesn't seem to mind the sizing problem and has been happily scuffing around the house in them. Alas, I had planned them to be for me (yes, this yarn DOES stretch a lot, but not that much!) Now, to finish my shower gifts (all little hats, which don't have to match)!