Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Hats off (or on, that is!)

Just finished this hat--made after ripping out two different sock patterns made with this Plymouth Sockotta yarn (which is a cotton/superwash wool)blend and very nice to knit with). I just decided it was not destined to be socks, and when my daughter pointed out these were her favorite colors (yes, she has three, orange, green and pink!), I knew I should do something for her. Inspired by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee's ode to hat making in Knitting Rules, (after all, she says, you just have to make ONE hat,); I just jumped in and did it, following her basic guidelines. I had made a few hats last winter, with nice chunky yarn, starting on 16" circulars and switching to DPN's for the crown. This time, I used magic loop, with 2.75 mm needles. I cast on 128 stitches, and just kept going, around and around and around (and some more!). I did crown decreases all the way down to 4 stitches, and then did a 6" i cord and tied it in a few knots to finish off the top. The rolled brim is very stretchy, which my daughter likes. Now, if it weren't 80 degrees outside, she could wear it more. My husband, though, said she look like askateboard dude in it, which means the weather doesn't matter--hence the BIG smile. (She is saying "yabba dabba doo", in case you wondered!--you know why!) And so am I, one hat done, no more to go. Now, back to those socks! Posted by Picasa