Saturday, May 13, 2006

Of socks and purses and computer crashes....

Here's the completed purse that I was able to give to one of my "baby" sisters up in Charlotte Sunday. It's a berroco pattern (see my last post), but I used some Lion Brand Incredible that I had in my stash, and got the adorable bangles at good old Target, so it was a cost -effective eneavor! Very quick and easy too. In the meantime, my computer system crashed, and I am waiting for a friend of a friend to come back in town to see if he can retrieve any of my unbacked up data (including my pictures, knitting patterns and itunes, woe is me), as the cost of a professional service doing it is absolutely insane. (Yes, this is all my own fault!). This makes it hard to blog too, as my other home computer, an old lap top, won't read my card reader.....I've also made and frogged an almost complete sock, and have now started a hat with the yarn. The sock was a great lesson for me....I didn't like the way it was turning out from the start (I tried using bigger needles, thinking a looser gauge would be better for summer socks, but they just felt too thin to me, and the ribbing didn't look right with the seld patterning yarn, and on and on. I decided to stop because I realized that while I might force myself to finish one of these socks I didn't like, I was never going to be able to make myself knit a second one! Since I was reading about making hats in Stephanie Pearl McPhee's latest book, Knitting Rules, I rewound the yarn and started a little fairisle hat. I'll post a picture of progress as soon as I can get to the right kind of compuer again. And now, back to my Cascading Leaves Sock, from the Townsend Knit A Long yahoo group. They are slow going so far, too, but once I get the pattern repeat down, I know it will get easier! (Knitting is so much like life)! Posted by Picasa