Saturday, June 17, 2006

Other Brother-in-Law socks


Green Bay Packers socks, I am calling them. They are the biggest socks (meaning longest in the foot) I have yet made. These are for my sweet Wisconson brother in law (yes, a big Packers fan, with a size 11 foot--I'm lucky to be related to a lot of small-footed men, not that I'd call them that to their faces!). I knit these in a new way; I used 10" circular needles for the cuff and foot, adding dpns at the heel and toe shaping. The yarn is Knit Picks Parade (which I have, of course, grown to love now that they are discontinuing it!) The 10" circular is called a "Stretchy Circular" ; I heard about them on the Socknitters Yahoo Group, and decided to give them a try. The cord is a very firm elastic, and they do flex and stretch. They only come in 2.75 mm (us 2) at this time, so that's what I used for these socks. They made for fast knitting, I must say, but I think my hands are not used to such short needles. But I did get a nice firm fabric, and have yet another pair of socks to add to my as yet unassembled Thuja gallery! My Brother in Law will be here in a week or so for a visit, and to help my husband build a Climbing Wall (yes, a rock climbing wall, yes, in our back yard, yes, we are crazy in this house about more than yarn!)
PS: My daughter is now telling me that these should be BRAZIL World Cup socks. I guess it all depends on your perspective!